Monday, June 15, 2009

Just curious....

what do you think Christian community means?

6 comments:

Denise said...

A place where Christians can meet to share their faith, and love of Jesus with one another.

~Brenda said...

Well, hopefully, it means a community of Christians. :-) The word "Christian" has come to mean so many things in America. It's real meaning is "Christ-like" but I'm afraid many folks call themselves Christians without any visible fruit growing in their lives. So I think it's going to mean different things for different people, unfortunately.

~Brenda

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

I believe that God intends for "Christian community" to be marked by genuine love and service. I love the passage in Acts 2:44-47 which shares what the first church looked like - "...had everything in common ... distributed ... as anyone had a need .... every day devoted themselves to meeting together ...ate food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God." I believe if we ever manage to get that part right, we will find ourselves living in the truth of the las part of verse 47 ~ "having favor with all the people. And every day the Lord added to them those who were being saved."

I believe Christian community is not about what makes us feel good or look good ... it's not about us at all. It is all about Christ and the way we live - corporately and individually - that points other to Him.

So, while the specifics of what that looks like in different communities and lives may vary - I believe that a sacrificial love and genuine desire to serve and minister to others are ABSOLUTES.

Chris said...

group of people who follow Christ..

Jen said...

I like Teri's comment. It fits my idea of a Christian Community.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Just scanning through yours and I like what a I see. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

For me, Christian community is intrinsically bound up in fellowship. I love the following quote by J.I. Packer that I have sticky noted to the sidebar of my devotional blog, it really sums up what I think God wants us to experience and what we are called to devote ourselves to.

"(Fellowship is) an expression of both love and humility. [It] springs from a desire to bring benefit to others, coupled with a sense of personal weakness and need. It has a double motive – the wish to help, and to be helped; to edify, and to be edified. It has a double aim – to do, and to receive, good. It is a seeking by Christian people to know God better through sharing with each other what, individually, they have learned of Him already."

I realize you are offline now, I'm just catching up on your most recent posts, I will be praying for God's blessing and grace on this new chapter in your lives, that He would give you a time of restoration and healing and a loving church family to fellowship with.